RECIPE || Easy Italian Soup
Simple Italian Soup
This soup recipe is a hit in my household, and is sure to be in yours too, especially with the cold weather starting to hit hard all over the place. The ingredients are simple, they are nutritious, and the broth is light, yet hearty. If you like soups, definitely give this a try, and if you don’t, definitely give this a try. Lol. Seriously, it’s really good and really healthy. If you don’t like one or more of the ingredients, just substitute them out for something (healthy) that you do like! If you’re a vegetarian, just eliminate the sausage and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth!
2-3 Tbsp Coconut Oil (Or another healthy fat oil of your choosing)
1 Onion (Yellow or White) – Diced
3 Ribs of Celery (Sliced)
3 Large Carrots (Sliced)
8 oz Mushrooms (Sliced)
¼ tsp Pepper
1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
5 Cloves Garlic (Diced or Sliced)
1 Lb. Potatoes (Purple are super healthy!) – (Chopped Large)
10 Cups Chicken Broth (Sub. Vegetable Broth If necessary)
1 Lb. Mild Italian Sausage Links (Use hot if you like spicy)
3 Cups Kale (Chopped)
- Cut all the vegetables. (The only “hard” part!)
- Add the first 5 ingredients to a large pot and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the Garlic, Pepper, and Italian Seasoning to the pot, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the Broth and Potatoes, bring to a boil, then lower heat and let simmer 30 minutes.
- Cook Sausages in a separate pan, then slice about ¼ inch – ½ inch thick, and add to pot.
- Add kale at 25-minute mark, and let cook until 30-minute mark.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Serve and warm your pretty little heart.
Note: If you used Low Salt Broth, you may need to add a little depending on your pallet, since there is very little seasoning used in this recipe. Don’t go overboard though, it is unhealthy, plus this recipe just doesn’t need a whole lot. It has a bunch of flavors from all the veggies! Enjoy and let me know how you like it once you try it!
Kim Shapira M.S., R.D.