Benefits Of Tea
Benefits Of Tea
Now, I know that Tea isn’t as prominent a beverage in North America as it is in other parts of the world, but it is a fast-growing trend, and for good reason! There are many varieties of Tea, including herbal, green, black, oolong, etc.; each of which have their own blends and prosperities. Tea actually has uhhh-mazing health benefits, some may be obvious to you, while others may really surprise you, so stay tuned while we dig into some of these loose leaves.
- Certain Teas can promote and aid in your weight loss goals. That’s right, all this time scientists have been looking for some crazy chemical to instigate fat reduction and it’s been right there in front of us! Two Teas that I recommend are Oolong and Mint. Oolong contains Catechins, which boosts the metabolizing of lipids [fats], which according to a Chinese study, could drop up to a pound a week! (Choi, K. Eat This, 2017). Mint Tea has been studied in the past, and it has been found that the scent of mint itself suppresses your appetite. So, as you drink mint tea, you are hydrating yourself, while also keeping yourself full! Yippee!
- Tea is calorie free! Meaning, you wont gain any weight by drinking it! Now, as with everything (and you wil probably hear me saying this a lot – don’t over-do it. Everything in moderation. In fact, an excess of Tea, and not enough water can lead to Kidney Stones…Ouch!).
- Tea has less caffeine than coffee. Herbal Teas don’t contain any caffeine. Like previously stated, overdoing things can lead to problems, which many people definitely have with coffee these days. Swap out a cup of coffee for a cup of tea once in a while and help your body out.
- Some Teas have been studied to prevent a trip to the dentist. The reason this happens is because of the acidity level in your mouth. All foods and drinks have a pH/acid level, and many foods contain more acid (which also lead to heart burn). Many Teas have a higher pH level, which balances the acid in your mouth and prevents things such as cavities.
- The antioxidants rich Green Tea may aid in the prevention of many diseases. Now, although this is still and may well be under scientific review forever, it has been believed in the East as a healthy therapy for many, many thousands of years. Good news is, our Western Docs have deemed it a healthy drink, with no downside, so drink away!
Well, there it is ladies and gents! My take on Tea and how it may or may not lead to a positive result in your life. If there is one thing you take from this article, beside of course that Tea has some truly awesome benefits, it is to eat and drink anything in moderation, because too much of anything just isn’t good; except puppies…there are NEVER too many puppies.
Choi, K. 2017. Eat this. 5 best teas for weight loss. Found at: http://www.eatthis.com/5-best-teas-
Kim Shapira MS, RD